Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Night of Settlers of Catan and Family Secrets

I'm not really sure what the title means. I played Settlers of Catan this evening with my friend Ken and his wife Kelly with my wife Jayme. Ken is a CPE supervisor and started this process about the same age I am now. We were in CPE together briefly in Houston back in 2001. Now he works with me at Seton here in Austin. When we still lived in Houston we also did theatre things together. We always seem to have fun.

The game itself is great but if you start off your first settlement in a less than desirable location, your screwed from the start. That was my night with the game. I had a lot of wood and a lot of sheep but couldn't do a thing with them. I got smoked. What I did learn though is life can be like that at times. If you start life in a bad place, it doesn't mean you can't succeed, but it sure makes it much tougher to succeed. Some of it is luck of the roll of the dice and some of it is being able to make the most of what you have. But, you can have all the strategy you want to succeed, but you still are settled in the worst possible location of life.

Thinking about this I became aware of how my own historical location and family secrets are both a hindrance to me and yet I also feel that I have done a great job of navigating my way thus far in this game we call life. I'm going to need all of this perserverance as I go forward.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment: